Developing the Match Winner
Our training syllabus is centred around our Match Winning Skills programme. Working around ‘the Destroyer’, ‘the Creator’ and ‘the Goal Scorer’, we encourage the individual development of each player through a structured training programme whereby they can excel within the framework of the team. Our age specific experts in our coaching team will create an enjoyable and challenging learning environment in which players can flourish.
Our teams will play with an emphasis on penetrative attacking football that dominates midfield. We will focus on forward passing, forward running and forward thinking wherever possible. We will try to press the ball as high up the pitch as the game allows and be flexible in our team shapes.
Our players must be competent in tight areas and develop match winning skills. They must develop good game understanding in possession, out of possession and in transition to enable them to progress through the performance pathway.
We are not rigid tactically. Our football philosophy is not restricted to a particular system. Our football philosophy is all about principles of play that remain constant but can be implemented through different formations and systems.
We want players with;
• Match winning skills in their position.
• Individual quality who understand the importance of team play.
• Football intelligence and good spatial awareness.
• The ability to make decisions when under pressure.
• Creativity and confidence.
• The ability to keep possession under pressure.
• The quality and awareness to see and deliver forward passes, even when it’s compact.
• The patience and confidence to be ‘on the ball’.
• An understanding and recognition of managing and controlling the tempo of the game, being able to play with patience and speed.
• The reactions to work effectively in the transitional phases.
We want players who:
• Want to be the best they can be, and who are willing to go the extra mile to achieve it.
• Are tough, determined, strong, and disciplined.
• Want to learn.
• Are bright eyed, enthusiastic, and take responsibility for their learning.
• Are committed, loyal and professional.
As an Academy we strive to create a development programme that shares the values and vision of the club to foster a learning environment based on the core values - Hard work, Honesty, Discipline, Trust and Respect. We aim to maintain, continually review and improve our practice so that young players are offered the best programme possible to allow them to be the best they can be. This philosophy is centred on the creation of an environment where all aspects of the Academy programme are challenging and inspirational.
Having developed as a club in the since re-joining the Academy system, and following many seasons as a self-funded Centre of Excellence, we are now striving to develop an Academy that not only produces talented young footballers but, in addition, one which develops well-rounded high achieving young people.
The philosophy of the Academy is therefore to produce grounded, responsible, confident, respectful, hard-working young players, who are able to reach a balance between academic achievement and attainment, prepared for life’s responsibilities and life in football as a scholar or young professional.
This is achieved through clear communication lines between players, parents, schools and the Football Club throughout the player’s time in the Academy and through full time and part time staff believing and living the club philosophy working with players from their commencement in the Academy to learn and believe in the necessary skills on and off the pitch to achieve this.