Skip to main content Skip to site footer


24 October 2018

Cambridge United’s Under 15’s produced an excellent display in front of a bumper Abbey crowd of 812, as they ran out 2-1 winners over Manchester United in the opening stadium game of the season.

As always with the Academy stadium events another excellent crowd packed into the Main Stand at the Abbey to support the young U’s, and Luke Chadwick’s side responded by shooting out of the block early and threatening in the final third, hitting the cross bar inside ten minutes.

They continued to impress as the half wore and seven minutes before half time opened the scores when a shot from a central position inside the visitors area by the U’s centre forward had too much on it to handle for the Man United keeper and trickled over the goal line.

However, the goal was cancelled out in the final move of the first half as the Red Devils dispossessed the U’s high up field and their number nine produced an extremely clinical finish to level the score line at 1-1 as the sides went back down the tunnel.

When the teams returned for the second period, the U’s showed no signs of letting the leveller hamper their evening at the Abbey and they quickly crafted a good opening that had the beating of the Red Devils keeper but crashed against the outside of the side netting.

A pair of Cambridge United attempts at goal ten minutes into the second half flashed across the face of goal, whilst at the other end the U’s defence did well to keep the visitors at arm’s length.

Luke Chadwick’s side did eventually regain a decisive lead though with an excellent passing move that carved open the Man United defence and allowed for an unstoppable shot to be drilled into the net, much to the delight of the strong Cambridge United following.

The U’s mounted a late siege on the Red Devils goal and were denied a third of the game by a goal line clearance, which did very little to dampen the positive atmosphere that engulfed the Abbey.

Commenting after the fixture, Chadwick said: “Overall you can’t say you’re not satisfied when you beat Manchester United at the Abbey Stadium.

“We started the game really well, on the front foot and scored a well worked opening goal in a manner we had discussed in the lead up to the game.

“After that we probably let them back into the game a little too easy before half time, and that was because we didn’t follow the game plan as much as we wanted to. There were times where we let them play the first pass and it made it easier for them to get out.

“We gave the boys a lot of information at half time, they took that on board really well and overall the second half was a good performance both in and out of possession. They dominated territorially and scored another excellently worked goal through some fantastic play.”

He continued: “It was a great occasion in front of 800 odd people, which is testament to this great football club. Whatever happens with these lads later down the line, they can take away a fantastic life experience from tonight.

“Thanks to all the people who came and watched. You really can’t buy the sort of experience it give these boys, so we’re so grateful to the supporters who chose to miss all the Champions League games to watch Cambridge United beat Man United!”

Advertisement block