Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


17 July 2018

Cambridge United held League One Charlton Athletic to a 2-2 draw in a behind closed doors game at the Addicks’ Sparrow Lane training facility this afternoon.

Joe Dunne’s men played out 4 x 30 minute halves, allowing for almost member of United’s first team squad to gain an hour of game time.

The U’s took an early lead inside ten minutes during the opening quarter period, in which Jabo Ibehre popped up at the far post unmarked to stab in Harrison Dunk’s corner delivery which had bounced around before landing at the U’s striker six yards out.

The hosts equalised ten minutes later when George Taft was deemed to have fouled Charlton centre forward Josh Magennis inside the 18 yard box. The big striker picked himself up and dispatched from the penalty spot to beat David Forde, who did get a hand to the ball in what was his opening pre-season fixture.

Possession of the ball was regularly controlled by Charlton for long periods in the opening hour, meaning Joe Dunne’s side were provided an opportunity to put their defensive shape into practice and work on building counter attacks.

Having provided the assist earlier for Ibehre, Dunk came close to scoring himself when a strong press gained United possession high up the pitch and the winger cut back on his left foot to shoot, but his effort was saved low by the Addicks keeper.

In fact it was Charlton who found the next breakthrough when Joe Aribo’s shot across goal struck the foot of the post, which rebounded into the path of Pat Bauer to guide in for Lee Bowyer’s side before the hour mark.

The U’s made a full eleven switch midway through the encounter and through the likes of Reggie Lambe, George Maris, Jevani Brown and Ade Azeez carried a greater threat going forward after the break. The game was varied from the first period in which the U’s were now able to work more on their in-possession tactics.

The U’s equalised via another set piece, when Azeez flicked on Liam O’Neil’s corner at the near post for George Maris to tap into an empty net at back post.

Barry Corr was given a run out in the final 30 minute replacing Ade Azeez, in what proved to be a very worthwhile exercise in south east London.

United First Hour | Forde, Davies, Darling, Taft, Carroll, Deegan, Osadebe, Lewis, Dunk, Amoo, Ibehre

United Second Hour | Mitov, John, Squire, Taylor, Norville-Williams, O'Neil, Maris, Lambe, Brown, Knowles, Azeez

Advertisement block