Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


9 February 2018

Cambridge United shared the spoils 0-0 in a hotly contested fixture with Lincoln City under the Friday night lights of the Abbey Stadium in Sky Bet League Two.

With Barry Corr back at the Abbey Stadium after signing until the end of the season, the striker was straight back into the starting line-up for the U’s as the only change from the side that was defeated by Yeovil Town in their previous League Two encounter.

Jevani Brown lifted an early cross towards the Irishman to raise the pulses of the U’s faithful inside a bouncing Abbey Stadium, which under pressure Corr could only direct wide off the mark with his head.

Lincoln City’s robust centre forward Matt Rhead set up the Imps first chance on 11 minutes, heading a lofted cross back across goal where Harry Anderson failed to hit the U’s target from close range.

The Imps found the back of the net on 31 minutes when an overhead kick from Matt Green found its way into the path of Anderson, who slotted the ball underneath David Forde and into the net, but the flag was promptly raised for offside and the goal ruled out.

Matt Rhead missed a header for the visitors late in the first half, which finished goalless with neither side creating a real goal scoring opportunity in a physical 45 minutes.

David Amoo was introduced to proceedings to give United more go forward on the hour mark, replacing Adam Phillips. The winger showed great pace to create an opening moments later, before testing Allsop with a shot across goal which the keeper palmed into the path of Corr, only for the striker to hit the side netting.

Amoo continued to make a real difference, teeing up a perfect cross for Corr to head towards the bottom corner on 73 minutes, which Imps keeper Allsop miraculously clawed away from the Lincoln target.

It was then the turn of United to have a goal chalked off, with Corr this time flicking Jevani Brown’s set piece delivery past Allsop from 10 yards, before offside was given.

Whilst both sides pushed for a winner in a thrilling finale to the encounter, the game remained goalless and both sides shared the spoils, as they had in the reverse fixture at Sincil Bank.

Cambridge United: Forde, Halliday, Taft, Taylor, Dunk, Deegan, Brown, Maris, Phillips (Amoo, 61 mins), Waters (Ikpeazu, 65 mins), Corr

Lincoln City: Allsop, Habergham, Waterfall, Pett (Rowe, 69 mins), Rhead (Palmer, 72 mins), Green, Bostwick, Wilson (Wharton, 56 mins), Eardley, Anderson, Woodyard

Attendance: 5,775 (1,678)

Vindis Man of the Match: Harrison Dunk

Advertisement block