Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


17 February 2018

Ikpeazu, Waters and Maris were all on target for United as they secured consecutive victories in Sky Bet League Two, with a 3-1 win over Grimsby Town at the Abbey Stadium.

Barry Corr returned for United as the only change, in an attacking line-up from Joe Dunne.

Despite a low key start to the match, United broke the deadlock on 19 minutes, Corr flicking on David Forde’s goal kick before Uche Ikpeazu registered his third goal in two games when smashing the ball across goal with his left foot.

Grimsby substitute Jonathan Hooper came closest for the visitors in the first half soon after, cutting into the U’s 18 yard box from the right before bending a shot narrowly over the cross bar.

United were dealt a blow before half time though with Corr leaving proceedings owing to an injury, being replaced by David Amoo.

The Mariners re-emerged eager for a quick response after the break and would have got one were it not for an excellently timed one on one stop by U’s keeper Forde on Jamile Matt.

Billy Waters missed a half chance for the U’s on 55 minutes, lashing a left footed shot over the bar having been slipped through by Jevani Brown, before the Mariners were close to registering in their own net after a United corner ricocheted off the inside of the post and away.

However, Waters did provide the U’s with day light on the scoreline, showing excellent instinct to calmly place the ball past the recovering James McKeown, who had denied Amoo’s effort moments earlier.

Two, quickly became three for United when George Maris pulled off a delightful back heel from Amoo’s cut back cross and the U’s were home and hosed.

The Mariners pegged a goal back inside the final five minutes though, JJ Hooper converting from the penalty spot, but it did little to dampen the high spirits of the home faithful inside the Abbey Stadium.

Cambridge United: Forde, Halliday, Taylor, Taft, Carroll, Deegan, Maris (O’Neil, 85 mins), Brown, Waters (Carroll, 68 mins), Ikpeazu, Corr (Amoo, 40 mins)

Grimsby Town: McKeown, Dixon (Kelly, 70 mins), Clarke, Berrett, Mills, Osbourne, Summerfield, Matt, Hall-Johnson, Vernam (Jaiyesmi, 75 mins), Jackson (Hooper, 22 mins)

Attendance: 4,739 (797)

Vindis Man of the Match: Gary Deegan

Advertisement block