Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


28 October 2017

Cambridge United put on a solid away display at Blundell Park to extend their unbeaten streak in Sky Bet League Two to four games, with a goalless draw against Grimsby Town.

U’s boss Shaun Derry elected to revert back to the box midfield formation which had served so well in the previous away trip to Lincoln City in Sky Bet League Two, with Liam O’Neil returning to the start eleven.

United were sent an early warning when Sam Jones swivelled on the ball inside the 18 yard box, before seeing a right footed shot tipped onto the post by David Forde on five minutes.

Despite the U’s settling into the game Grimsby edged the chances in front of goal, largely helped by a strong wind in the face of David Forde. That didn’t stop the U’s keeper clasping a corner delivery directly off the line though, before the 37-year old then pulled off a magnificent full stretch save to deny Jones again with a header this time on 19 minutes.

Ikpeazu was inches away from breaking the deadlock midway through the half, when a clever piece of play between Deegan and Brown resulted in the big striker prodding a shot wide of the mark from six yards.

As the half progressed, United continued to produce a competitive performance and by the break were deservedly level.

With the wind behind them in the second half, Shaun Derry’s men returned for the second period and took the early ascendency. However, the first chance fell to Grimsby when Siriki Dembele rounded David Forde with the ball before laying a pass across the face of goal which United were able to clear.

The U’s enjoyed a strong passage of play on 65 minutes, where Jevani Brown was twice denied the opportunity to break the deadlock with a great one-on-one save by McKeown, before an unbelievable goal line clearance from a resulting corner.

Ikpeazu crafted out the final opportunity of the game with a typically powerful run opening up space for a shot on his left foot which was matched by a fine save from McKeown to ensure the score line remained unblemished.

Grimsby Town: McKeown, Davies, Clarke, Collins, Dixon, Berrett, Summerfield, Dembele (Jaiyesimi, 85 mins), Jones (Hooper, 70 mins), Woolford, Vernon

Cambridge United: Forde, Halliday, Legge, Taylor, Carroll, Mingoia (Maris, 77 mins), Deegan, O’Neil, Elito (Ibehre, 62 mins), Brown, Ikpeazu

Attendance: 4,091 (214)

Advertisement block