Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


14 October 2017

Cambridge United secured a hard fought point against Lincoln City in Sky Bet League Two, following goalless draw at Sincil Bank.

The U’s made three changes with George Taft, Jake Carroll and Liam O’Neil coming in to the starting line-up, whilst Leon Legge was suspended for the fixture following his dismissal against Wycombe Wanderers.

Shaun Derry’s men soaked up early pressure from the hosts, who peppered the United 18 yard box with crosses during the opening ten minutes.

Medy Elito had the U’s first attempt on goal when he chopped the ball before seeing his left footed shot blocked by the Imps defence.

Danny Cowley’s men came closest to breaking the deadlock in a tight first half when Matt Green nodded the ball over from a yard out, after a Lincoln free kick had bounced off several heads midway through the opening 45 minutes.

Elito was denied a penalty despite a strong case after Lincoln keeper Josh Vickers seemed to clatter into the forward moments before half time. A corner was awarded instead by referee Kevin Johnson and United’s best chance followed, Liam O’Neil glancing a header across the face of goal at the near post.

The U’s continued to grow into the second half, despite an early chance for Green who saw his flicked header at the near post saved by Forde.

Uche Ikpeazu and George Maris gave the U’s added attacking impetus on the hour mark, following their introduction to proceedings from the bench.

O’Neil forced a full stretch stop from Vickers when the midfielder hammered a mid-range effort goalwards, whilst Mingoia went close too with a similarly ferocious shot from the angle which the Lincoln keeper again got a hand on.

Ikpeazu’s only opening saw the striker flick a Mingoia cross from the left flank fractionally wide of the mark which proved to be the final opportunity to claim a victory, as Shaun Derry’s took a well-earned point away from Sincil Bank.

Lincoln City: Vickers, Habergham, Waterfall, Ginnelly (Arnold, 66 mins), Palmer (Rhead, 69 mins), Green, Knott (Maguire-Drew, 63 mins), Dickie, Bostwick, Eardley, Woodyard

Cambridge United: Forde, Halliday, Taft (Howkins, 86 mins), Taylor, Carroll, Mingoia, Deegan, O’Neil, Elito (Maris, 79 mins), Dunk (Ikpeazu, 66 mins), Ibehre

Attendance: 8,803 (542)

Advertisement block