Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


15 October 2016


Cambridge United’s unbeaten streak in Sky Bet League Two came to end at the hands of Grimsby Town with a 0-1 defeat at the Cambs Glass Stadium.

James Berrett’s first half header proved to be the difference between the sides, with United unable to level despite a handful of opportunities in front of goal.

The U’s lined up without number one Will Norris, who had been ruled out of the fixture with tonsillitis, whilst Uche Ikpeazu also missed the game due to a foot injury.

The visitors edged the early encounters with Dominic Vose causing the U’s early problems defensively. Luke Berry was forced to block a curling effort from the right sided midfielder which fizzed fractions over the cross bar.

However, Paul Hurst’s men opened up the lead soon after when Vose beat Brad Halliday on the right side of the U’s area before clipping a cross on to the head of Berrett to nod past David Gregory from six yards out.

League Two’s leading goalscorer Omar Bogle crashed the ball against the angle of the goal from a 25 yard free kick eight minutes before the break.

Whilst the U’s struck the woodwork with the last move of the half, when Harrison Dunk headed Mingoia’s deep cross against the post, with James Dunne unable to tuck away the follow up.

United returned in the second period as the side in the ascendency. Having found the back of the net with a fine free kick a week earlier in Blackpool, Berry came within inches of curling a low strike into the corner of James McKeown’s net before the hour mark.

On 63 minutes Adam McGurk missed perhaps the U’s best chance, with the striker unable to move his feet quick enough to angle Harrison Dunk’s header back across goal on target.

Mark Roberts produced a superb covering challenge to deny Omar Bogle a certain goal after Leon Legge had under hit a back pass to David Gregory.

McGurk failed to hit the target when Leon Legge teed up the striker in the dying embers of the match, with the Mariners taking the spoils.

Commenting post-match, U’s boss Shaun Derry said: “It was a frustrating afternoon as we had an opportunity to back up five fantastic performances. I’m not sure many people would have arrived at the stadium expecting such a lacklustre display, so that is disappointing.

“Within the performance, the better opportunities still probably fell to us and we weren’t ruthless enough to find a way to secure a result.

“Our previous record of five games unbeaten is gone. We now have to look forward to the trip against Exeter and start another run. Our sole focus is on preparing and working on a game plan that can get us three points next week.”

Cambridge United: Gregory, Halliday, Legge, Roberts, Taylor (Clark, 45 mins), Mingoia, Berry, Dunne (Newton, 58 mins), Dunk, Williamson (Pigott, 64 mins), McGurk

Grimsby Town: McKeown, Andrew, Gowling, Bogle, Vose (Tuton, 90 mins), Mills, Jackson (Bolorinwa, 68 mins), Berrett, Summerfield, Collins, Comley (Disley, 68 mins)

Attendance: 5,121 (1,149 away)

Vindis Man of the Match: Mark Roberts

Advertisement block