Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


26 November 2016


Cambridge United produced an excellent performance to secure a 3-1 victory at the Cambs Glass Stadium over Cheltenham Town to move up the Sky Bet League Two ladder.

A first half goal from Uche Ikpeazu set the precedent for Shaun Derry’s men before a second half brace by Luke Berry completed a dominant display, with only Billy Waters 83rd minute consolation goal giving the Robins something to travel back with.

The U’s made one change to side that started in the 1-0 win over Notts County four days earlier, with goal scorer Conor Newton dropping out with a hamstring problem and Max Clark beginning in central midfield.

With 19 points from their previous ten fixtures, the U’s certainly started the clash as the team in form, with Ikpeazu notching his fourth goal of the season on the swivel in the sixth minute.

The hulking striker continued to cause early issues and came close to setting up a second for United when he caught Aaron Downes in possession before laying it off for Berry, who had his shot blocked with the goal at his mercy.

Berry later stretched well to get his head on the end of a well-delivered George Maris free kick ten minutes before the break, but the effort looped over the cross bar and the deficit remained at one goal at half time.

Despite the Robins beginning the second half far stronger, the U’s were clinical when it came to doubling their advantage in the 54th minute, Berry making no mistake as he headed Grag Taylor’s cross into the top corner.

As the half progressed United grew stronger, with spells of excellent interlinking play between Ikpeazu, Mingoia, Berry and substitute Ben Williamson causing Cheltenham issues in defence.

The U’s third goal on 74 minutes epitomized their play as Clark passed it into Ikpeazu before the striker set Berry up for his 50th goal in the Amber and Black with a tidy finish, killing the game as a contest in the process. 

Ikpeazu and Berry were both denied the chance to register a fourth for the U’s as the United closed in on the victory.

Some scrappy defending from the U's allowed Billy Waters to register an 84th minute consolation goal for the visitors, but United were able to see the game off with ease.

Cambridge United: Norris, Halliday, Legge, Roberts, Taylor, Mingoia (Dunk, 85 mins), Dunne, Clark, Berry (Long, 90 mins), Maris (Williamson, 53 mins), Ikpeazu

Cheltenham Town: Griffiths, Barthram (Suliman, 45 mins), Storer, Downes, Parslow (Morgan-Smith, 63 mins), Waters, Wright, Cranston, Rowe, Dickie, Holman (Dayton, 35 mins)

Attendance: 4,606 (200)

Vindis Man of the Match: Uche Ikpeazu

Advertisement block