Skip to main content Skip to site footer


19 November 2016


Aaron Pierre’s late goal inflicted a sickening 2-1 defeat over Cambridge United in Sky Bet League Two, as Wycombe Wanderers took the spoils at the Cambs Glass Stadium.

George Maris’ first goal for the U’s looked to have secured United a fully deserved point from the game in 87th minute, cancelling out Paul Hayes first half penalty, until Pierre struck in the dying embers of stoppage time.

With the U’s having just 40 hours to recover from the dramatic FA Cup replay with Dover Athletic, it was perhaps no surprise Wycombe took an early lead in the fixture, with Hayes calmly firing past Norris from the penalty spot after Mark Roberts had caught Pierre late in the area on four minutes.

Maris was inches away from levelling moments later when the former Barnsley man found himself positioned on the end of a delightful cross to the far post from Mingoia, only for the Wycombe defence to intercept at the last second.

A scrappy half continued with both sides fighting hard to gain a lion share of possession, but struggling due to the disjointed nature of the game.

Paris Cowan-Hall lost his marker in the U’s area before heading over from close range, as Wanderers came close to doubling their advantage. 

But it was United who finished the half stronger, although worryingly for the U’s Josh Coulson was stretchered off the field with a leg injury following an unsavoury challenge by Cowan-Hall when the ball appeared to have already ran out of play.

Shaun Derry introduced Uche Ikpeazu at the break and the striker instantly made an impact on the game, stinging the palms of Jamal Blackman four minutes into the half before Halliday prodded the rebound wide.

The Chairboys’ keeper again came to their rescue when Mark Roberts angled an excellent diving header on target, but Blackman clawed it away with a full stretch save low to his left. That came 10 minutes before the shot stopper again denied the centre back from point blank range, as United laid siege to the Wycombe goal.

Berry skimmed the cross bar with a vicious free kick that dipped fractions over on 69 minutes.

United continued to show excellent endeavour and bagged a fully deserved equaliser three minutes from time when Ikpeazu’s shot struck the foot of the post before falling at the feet of Maris to guide home.

However there was one final sting in the tail with Wycombe scoring in the 95th minute, through Pierre’s venomous drive to break the hearts of the Amber Army.

Cambridge United: Norris, Halliday, Roberts, Coulson (Legge, 43 mins), Adams, Mingoia (Ikpeazu, 45 mins), Clark, Newton, Berry, Maris, Williamson

Wycombe: Blackman, Jacobson, Stewart, Pierre, Hayes (Wood, 65 mins), Bloomfield, Cowan-Hall (Thompson, 74 mins), Harriman, O’Nien, Akinfenwa, Gape

Attendance: 4,139 (437 away)

Vindis Man of the Match: Luke Berry

Advertisement block