Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


8 November 2016


Academy graduates Matthew Foy and Harry Darling both made their senior debuts in the U’s final Checkatrade Trophy group match against Scunthorpe United, which the League One side won 0-2 at the Cambs Glass Stadium.

Despite the Iron claiming a lion share of possession during the opening 10 minutes of the match, the first opportunity of the game fell at the feet of Joe Pigott for the U’s. The striker was unable to divert Josh Coulson’s head back cross goal from a fine Max Clark set piece, into the net with his right foot.

In fact it proved to Pigott’s only contribution as the former Charlton man left the field with a head injury midway through the half, and 18-year old Matthew Foy coming on in his place for his first team debut, three days after signing a professional contract with the club.

Foy was joined by fellow scholar Leon Davies soon after, who made his third appearance for the club with Blair Adams also forced from the field early due to an issue with his asthma. 

Scunthorpe United broke the deadlock on 35 minutes when Luke Williams broke past a tackle from Tom Dallison before slotting the ball to the right of Will Norris.

Ben Williamson came closest to levelling before the break, when the centre forward struck an effort from distance which deflected off an Iron’s defender and marginally wide of Joe Anyon’s right post. 

Harry Darling was introduced at the break by Manager Shaun Derry for his first senior appearance.The youngster came close to equalising when he angled a shot on goal from George Maris’ low drive into the 18 yard box, but Anyon palmed the effort away from danger.

An intricate piece of play from Ben Williamson sent Maris through one-on-one on 73 minutes, but again Anyon came to the rescue of the visitors as he made himself big to stop the former Barnsley man in his tracks.

Despite United’s best efforts, the visitors doubled lead in stoppage time with Hakeeb Adelakun hal volleying into the net from 12 yards out to put United to the sword, who qualify for the next round nevertheless as runners up in Northern Section Group G.

Cambridge United: Norris, Adams (Davies, 30 mins), Coulson, Dallison, Long, Maris, Dunne (Darling, 45 mins), Clark, Elito, Williamson, Pigott (Foy, 22 mins)

Scunthorpe United: Anyon, Wallace, Williams, Van Veen (Smallwood, 80 mins), Hopper (Margetts, 62 mins), Adelakun, Mantom, Goode, Townsend, Ness, Clarke,

Attendance: 666 (86 away)

Vindis Man of the Match: Max Clark

Advertisement block