Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


1 March 2016

Coulson head wins three points for United

Cambridge United held on for a 1-0 victory over Wycombe Wanderers to move within three points of the Sky Bet League Two play-offs.

Josh Coulson’s deflected header in the 27th minute turned out to be the pivotal moment in the tie, with United deserved winners under the midweek lights of the Abbey Stadium.

James Dunne returned to the U’s starting line-up in place of Shane O’Neill as the only change to Shaun Derry’s side.

Ryan Ledson and Jimmy Spencer put in early testers at goal for the U’s, both though were unable to find the target and Luke O’Nien produced a pair of attempts on goal for the Chairboys, but likewise failed to stretch Will Norris.

Spencer continued to cause problems to the Chairboy’s defence as the first half wore on and looked to have registered a sumptuous opener on 19 minutes, after the former Notts County shimmied past his marker before lifting the ball towards the Blues goal, only for the ball to glance past the far post. 

The Amber Army did not have long to wait however, as Josh Coulson headed home his second goal in three games via a wild deflection from Wycombe defender Anthony Stewart on 27 minutes to give Cambridge a deserved 1-0 lead.

Shaun Derry’s side controlled the remainder of the first period of the game and where deservedly ahead at the break.

Wycombe enjoyed the better of the early exchanges in the second half and Gareth Ainsworth introduced veteran striker Garry Thompson on 55 minutes in an attempt to cause United more defensive issues. The U’s however weathered the storm well.

Harrison Dunk beat Michael Harriman inside the Wanderer’s box with some nifty footwork on the hour mark before powering a fierce strike at Ryan Allsop.

Anthony Stewart tested the U’s when he headed on target forcing Leon Legge to clear off the line before United eventually cleared following a scramble inside their 18 yard box with 15 minutes to play.

Sam Wood caught a sweet volley from 20 yards on 85 minutes that split the U’s defence, but Norris clambered all over the strike, much to the relief of those of an amber and black persuasion inside the Abbey Stadium.

Cambridge United: Norris, Furlong, Legge, Coulson, Haynes, Berry, Ledson (O’Neill, 77 mins), Dunne, Dunk (Donaldson, 86 mins), Williamson, Spencer (Simpson, 68 mins)

Wycombe Wanderers: Allsop, Jacobson, McGinn, Stewart, Hayes, Bloomfield (Ugwu, 75 mins), Wood (Seller, 86 mins), Kretzschmar (Thompson, 55 mins), Harriman, O’Nien, McCarthy

Attendance: 4,141 (325 away)

Vindis Man of the Match: Ryan Ledson

Advertisement block