Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


30 January 2016


A brace from Ben Williamson and a debut goal for Jimmy Spencer gave Cambridge United a superb 3-1 win over Leyton Orient in Sky Bet League Two.

A goal in either half from Williamson gave United a firm hold of the match before Jimmy Spencer, who had only put pen to paper in the lead up to the game, ensured the U’s clinched perhaps their best result of the 2015/16 season so far and an excellent three points.

Shaun Derry made three changes to his starting line-up with Coulson, Donaldson and Dunk brought in by the U’s boss, while new signing Spencer took up a place on the bench.

The U’s were quick on to the front foot in the game, with a solid spell of possession in which the midfield had Orient pinned into their own half of the pitch. 

The early dominance paid dividends on 10 minutes, when Williamson was quick to latch on to a loose back pass from Frazer Shaw and duly rounded keeper Alex Cisak before finishing from an extremely acute angle.

Shaun Derry’s side continued their relentless start to the fixture after the opener, but could not make the most of a succession of set pieces and a shaky Orient defence.

However, the O’s did produce a number of early counter attacking moves and their first opening fell the way of Connor Essam on 15 minutes when he powered a header marginally over Will Norris’ cross bar.

An excellent drop of the shoulder from Ryan Ledson with 33 minutes played  in which he deceived two Orient defenders to open up the pitch and pick a pass out for Williamson, almost resulted in United doubling their lead.

Leon Legge twice denied the hosts an opportunity to equalise shortly before half time, when he bravely headed away a pair of dangerous deliveries from Jahraldo-Martin with Jay Simpson and Ollie Palmer both bearing down on goal.

When the sides re-emerged for the second half, the U’s looked hungry to secure a goal and clinch further control of the game, and on 53 minutes, Williamson did just that.

A pass down the right wing from Furlong pitted Williamson in a one-on-one battle with Frazer Shaw, which the U’s striker prevailed in, before darting into the area and finishing expertly at the near post to double the advantage.

However, substitute Armand Gnanduillet quickly pulled a goal back for the hosts when he prodded home from three yards following a scramble in the U’s 18 yard box in which United failed to clear a corner.

When Shaun Derry introduced Jimmy Spencer to proceedings on 62 minutes, not many in the ground would have expected the striker to have netted just over a minute later. The former Huddersfield Town man was perfectly placed to slot home Williamson’s assist and restore a two goal lead.

Luke Berry was within inches of increasing that advantage moments later, when he cut across his marker from a corner and side footed a shot wide. The U’s however now looked comfortable and the side more likely to score again, even when Leyton Orient manager Kevin Nolan elected to substitute himself onto the field.

Backed by the biggest away following of the season with 1,237 fans making the journey to East London, the U’s saw out the remainder of the game with relative ease to complete a fine afternoon.

Leyton Orient: Cisak, Clohessy, Shaw, Essam, Baudry, Palmer (Gnanduillet, 53 mins), McAnuff, Payne (Nolan, 67 mins), Atangana, Simpson, Jahraldo-Martin (Turgott, 58 mins)

Cambridge United: Norris, Furlong, Legge, Coulson, Page, Donaldson (Spencer, 61 mins), Berry, Ledson, Dunne, Dunk (Simpson, 82 mins), Williamson

Attendance: 6,526 (1,237 U’s fans)

Advertisement block