Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


7 December 2016


Cambridge United had their Checkatrade Trophy campaign ended at the hands of Sky Bet League One side Bradford City following a 1-0 defeat at the Northern Commercials Stadium.

United lined-up with five changes to the side that toppled the Bantam’s fellow League One side Coventry in the FA Cup three days earlier, including the return of Harrison Dunk from the bench.

Following a low key start to the fixture, Shaun Derry was forced into an early substitution when full back Sean Long went down with a leg injury on 19 minutes, providing Leon Davies the opportunity to earn his fourth senior appearance for the Club.

James Dunne had the first shot in anger of the clash when he drove at goal 30 yards out on 25 minutes, but the effort trickled wide of Rouven Sattelmaier’s right post.

Ben Williamson was provided with the first clear opening on goal, when Max Clark slipped the striker through but the former Gillingham man could only find the side netting.

The U’s continued to enjoy the better of the chances in front of goal, with Leon Legge bizarrely finding himself one-on-one with Sattelmaier but the centre back lost his balance and poked his shot off target.

Mark Marshall cut inside from the eft wing before hitting a right footed effort into the hands of Will Norris with Bradford’s only effort on target in the first half.

The U’s shot stopper denied the winger once more after the break, springing across his goal to catch a powerful drive to the bottom right corner.

Shaun Derry introduced Luke Berry and Uche Ikpeazu to proceedings shortly before the hour mark as the United boss went in search of the win.

It almost had an instant impact with Ikpeazu holding the ball up well to start an excellent U’s move which saw Davies cut in expertly off the right wing before playing a great ball through for Williamson to strike, which Sattelmaier saved with his feet.

However, it was the Bantams who were register the only foray of note in the tussle when Nicky Law darted across the front post to head in Filipe Morias’ delivery on 64 minutes.

Only Ikpeazu’s late effort, which saw the big striker turn his man before having a shot tipped over by Sattelmaier, came close to levelling the game and Bradford saw the fixture out to progress.

Bradford City: Sattelmaier, Darby (McMahon, 24 mins), Law, Clarke, Marshall, Dieng (Devine, 45 mins), Hiwula, Vuckic (Cullen, 63 mins), Morais, McArdle, Kilgallon

Cambridge United: Norris, Adams, Legge, Dallison, Long (Davies, 19 mins), Mingoia (Ikpeazu, 56 mins), Dunne, Clark, Maris (Berry, 56 mins), Dunk, Williamson

Attendance: 1.360 (70)

Advertisement block