Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


20 August 2016


Cambridge United and Carlisle United shared the spoils at the Cambs Glass Stadium in Sky Bet League Two after a 2-2 draw.

Twice the U’s led thanks to first half goals from Leon Legge and Luke Berry, with Jason Kennedy and Charlie Wyke equalising for Keith Curle’s side.

The U’s lined up with three changes to the team that begun the match at the Keepmoat Stadium in midweek, with Leon Legge and Greg Taylor returning for United, and new loan signing Jake Gosling making his first start on the wing.

Having not scored in their previous two League Two encounters, the U’s were out of the traps quickly as the returning Legge rose highest to bullet a header past Mark Gillespie from Piero Mingoia’s corner to give Shaun Derry’s men a lead within six minutes.

Luke Berry came close to doubling that advantage inside ten minutes, when the captain found himself in space within the Carlisle 18 yard box following a driving run by Joe Pigott, however his side-footed effort was off target.

The visiting captain, Danny Grainger, was the next to register an attempt on goal of note when he darted on to a loose ball outside of the United area and pile-drived a low shot which deflected off a Cambridge defender and marginally wide of Will Norris’ goal.

However, the U’s shot stopper was unable to keep out Kennedy’s far post header midway through  the first period following a deep Carlisle set piece delivery that caused the U’s problems at the back.

Playing against the wind, Shaun Derry’s men were forced to hold on for much of the remainder of the first 45 minutes but just as it looked as if the sides were going to head for the break all square, the U’s were given the opportunity to retake the lead when Luke Berry was bundled to the ground by a Blues defender.

The skipper picked himself up to slot the ball home from the spot and restored United’s one goal advantage before half time.

However, Keith Curle’s men were level once more when substitute Charlie Wyke clattered the ball in from five yards after a Nicky Adams cross evaded all in amber and black a minute before the hour mark.

Both sides had opportunities in the next 20 minutes to take the lead, with Coulson making an outstanding block to keep Adams at bay and Jake Gosling stinging the palms of Gillespie at the other end of the field shortly after.

Shaun Derry’s men came close to snatching all three points in the closing ten minutes of the fixture with Pigott nodding an effort off target and coming close to teeing up substitute Ben Williamson which the away side cleared inside their six yard box, and it was not to be for United.

Cambridge United: Norris, Long, Legge, Coulson, Taylor, Mingoia, Dunne (Newton, 69 mins), Berry, Elito (Williamson, 59 mins), Gosling, Pigott

Goals: Legge, Berry

Carlisle United: Gillespie, Grainger, Joyce, Raynes, Kennedy (Wyke, 54 mins), Jones, Adams, Gillesphey, Ibehre, Lambe (Devitt, 78 mins), Miller

Goals: Kennedy, Wyke

Attendance: 4,139 (405 away)

Vindis Man of the Match: Leon Legge 

Advertisement block