Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


27 August 2016


Cambridge United were left to rue three second half goals from Luton Town as they fell to a disappointing 0-3 defeat at the Cambs Glass Stadium.

An unchanged U’s side from the midweek clash with Wolves in the EFL Cup started the game at the Cambs Glass Stadium, and were straight into a lively opening ten minutes.

The Hatter’s Jordan Cook struck the upright on four minutes, before Luke Berry was twice denied the chance to give the U’s the advantage by Luton Town keeper Christian Walton, following good interlinking play with Piero Mingoia on both occasions.

A highly entertaining encounter continued through the middle of the half, with Pelly Ruddock missing a golden opportunity for the visitors when he dragged  a shot wide of Will Norris’s goal.

Meanwhile, Medy Elito had certainly carried his exciting form from midweek into the encounter and was causing the Hatters problems at the back. He would have given the U’s the advantage after weaving through the Luton defence, were it not for another excellent stop by Walton.

An exciting tussle continued up to the break, with the U’s more than edging the play but it remained goalless.

Having produced an excellent first half performance, Shaun Derry’s were straight back on to the front foot, looking menacing when going forward and pressing well off the ball.

However, it was the visitors who broke the deadlock on 62 minutes when a set piece delivery from the right flank for the Hatters caused defensive confusion for the U’s as Glen Rea headed the ball into the danger area before bouncing off several shins and into the back of the net.

Nathan Jones’ side wasted no time in doubling that advantage, when Jack Marriott picked up possession inside the U’s half, drove with the ball at goal before firing a 20 yard shot past Will Norris.

The U’s fought hard to find a way back into the match, with Shaun Derry introducing new signing Uche Ikpeazu and Joe Pigott. However, the Hatters held out before Danny Hylton scored in stoppage time to inflict defeat on the U’s.

Cambridge United: Norris, Taylor, Legge, Coulson, Adams (Gosling) , Mingoia, Dunne, Clark (Pigott, 63 mins), Berry, Elito, Williamson (Ikpeazu, 63 mins)

Luton Town: Walton, O’Donnell, Potts, Mullins, McGeehan, Hylton, Cook, Marriott (Vassell, 90 mins), Rea, Ruddock (Smith, 87 mins), Lee (Cuthbert, 28 mins)

Attendance: 5,606 (1,690 away)

Vindis Man of the Match: Medy Elito 

Advertisement block