Skip to main content Skip to site footer


8 August 2016


For many U's fans, when the draw for this season's EFL Cup First Round was announced and a tie with Sheffield Wednesday  was in store, memories will have quickly been evoked of the last time the two sides met in what was one of the great nights here as Trevor Benjamin ruled the roost.

The U's, who back then found themselves in the third division of English football, were drawn against the Owls of South Yorkshire in a second round match having dispatched of Watford in the opening round.

On paper, progression to the third round for Roy McFarland's men seemed highly improbable particularly when taking into consideration that the early rounds of the then Worthington Cup, were contested over two legs.

However, a solitary Benjamin goal in the away tie at Hillsborough after just three minutes had set up the U's for a dramatic encounter back at the Abbey Stadium, but still many would have fancied the side two divisions United's senior to restore parity in the second leg.

United lined up as follows: Van Heusden in goal, a back four of Chenery, Duncan, Joseph and Campbell, with Taylor, Russell, Wanless and Mustoe across the midfield and a Butler and Benjamin combination up front.

Meanwhile, Sheffield Wednesday managed by Danny Wilson began the fixture with Pressman, Newsome, Walker, Hinchliffe, Thome, Di Canio, Atherton, Jonk, Briscoe, Booth and Carbone.

McFarland's men managed to sustain their slender advantage right through the first half and looked to be fairly comfortable during the second period also, until disaster struck midway through the half.

A long ranging kick from Wednesday goalkeeper Kevin Pressman, who had been forced into a save moments earlier by a Benjamin head at goal, now had the U's in all sorts of bother and a  miscommunication at the back ended with Jamie Campbell heading towards his own goal which had been left empty by U's keeper Arjan Van Heusden.

With the game now level, many would have predicted the Owls to take advantage of their Premier League pedigree and complete the job on the U's, but up stepped Trevor Benjamin.

The striker leapt higher than any other player in front of the Newmarket Road End from a set piece delivery by Russell, to equalise on the night and importantly put the U's 2-1 up on aggregate to book  place in the next round.

Tickets for the game are available online, in-store or by calling 01223 566 500.

Advertisement block