Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


30 April 2016

U's draw with Pilgrims in dramatic clash

Cambridge United draw 2-2 with Plymouth Argyle following a frantic last 15 minutes in the final game of the 2015/16 Sky Bet League Two season at the Abbey Stadium.

The U’s looked to have registered two winning goals through Williamson and Spencer late in the game, only for Graham Carey to equalise in stoppage time for the visitors.

The U’s made just one change to the side that started the game at Notts County a week earlier, with Leon Legge recovering from injury to take up his place with Josh Coulson at centre back.

It was to be Legge who enjoyed the first sight of goal in the match, when Harrison Dunk cleverly rolled his marker before cutting a cross back to the defender, who cleared Luke McCormick’s cross bar from 14 yards.

Half chances fell to both sides, with Luke Berry lashing a shot against Carl McHugh which seemed destined for the net midway through the first half, before Graham Carey picked up on a loose ball 18 yards out and struck it off target for Plymouth, as an evenly contested opening 45 minutes ensued. 

Jake Jervis forced Will Norris into his first save of the match on 52 minutes when the leggy forward curled an effort on target which the U’s shot stopper was perfectly positioned to catch.

However a tight affair continued forcing Shaun Derry to increase his attacking options as Ryan Donaldson took to the field on 67 minutes in his first game back from injury 

The visitors broke the deadlock on 71 minutes when Jamille Matt powered his way past Josh Coulson to streak into the 18 yard box and score right footed past Norris.

The striker came close to doubling the lead soon after, leaping above all U’s defenders before flicking Tanner’s cross over the cross bar.

United however refused to give in and when Zeli Ismail broke free down the right flank, the winger cut back the perfect pass for Williamson to equalise in the 84th minute.

Backed by a jubilant Amber Army, the U’s wasted no time in taking the lead, with substitute Jimmy Spencer side footing in a fine finish eight yards out.

However, the Pilgrim’s Graham Carey, who had caused United issues throughout the afternoon, struck a left-footed equaliser 25 yards from goal in stoppage time to level the scoreline. 

Cambridge United: Norris, Furlong, Legge, Coulson, Clark (Spencer, 76 mins), Ismail, Dunne (Donaldson, 67 mins), Ledson, Berry, Dunk, Williamson

Plymouth Argyle: McCormick, Mellor, Sawyer, McHugh (Forster, 51 mins) , Nelson, Hartley (Tanner, 68 mins), Carey, Jervis (Wylde, 68 mins), Matt, Boateng, Houhgton

Attendance: 6,714 (1,567 away)

Vindis Man of the Match: Zeli Ismail

Advertisement block