Skip to main content Skip to site footer


24 September 2015


Cambridge United take on Stevenage FC at the Abbey Stadium this week, and is giving the Amber Army the chance to relive the U’s 2009 Conference play-off semi-final triumph over the Hertfordshire at the Abbey Stadium.

Tickets for this weekend’s fixture are available to buy online, in-store and over the phone by calling 01223 566 500, with U’s fans able to make a £2 saving off full price match day prices when purchasing before Saturday.

Cambridge Utd 3-0 Stevenage (4-3)
Saturday 4th May 2009

Cambridge United struck a late goal to beat Stevenage 3-0 after extra time, and secure a place in their second consecutive Wembley Conference play-off final.

Scott Rendell clinched the all-important goal with 119 minutes on the clock, to turn the aggregate score around in favour of the U’s, who had started the game with a two goal deficit to chase.

Many Cambridge supporters would have been forgiven for thinking the tie was over at half-time with the score line still goalless, but Robbie Willmott’s deflected shot on 56 minutes gave the hosts the lead.

Rendell then doubled that lead 16 minutes later with a close range finish to level the aggregate score and ensure the game rolled into extra time.

The visitors had opportunities themselves to win the game with Steve Morison spurning a golden opportunity in a one-on-one with United goalkeeper Danny Potter. That came after both Callum Willock and Michael Bostwick had come close to registering for Stevenage.

Borough were piling on the pressure in the closing stages with the U’s forced into some dogged and at times desperate defensive work, but when Stevenage midfielder Scott Laird received a second yellow card from referee Paul Tierney, United grabbed their opportunity.

When the game looked destined to be decided by penalties Paul Carden low shot was spilt by Stevenage keeper Chris Day, and Rendell was on hand to finish calmly and send the roof off the Abbey Stadium.

Advertisement block