Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


24 October 2015

First goals for Gaffney guide U's to win

A brace from Rory Gaffney and a sweet first half strike from Luke Berry ensured the U’s secured a 3-2 win over Yeovil Town at Huish Park in Sky Bet League Two victory.

Gaffney, playing in his first full start for the club, scored twice before 30 minutes before Luke Berry scored the decisive goal to give the U’s their second win in three games. The

It took just four minutes for Gaffney to make the impression he would have been hoping for in the dressing prior to the game. Harrison Dunk delivered a whipped cross to the back post where Corr held his ground well to head down for his fellow Irishman, who promptly finished past Krysiak with his laces from eight yards to give the U’s an early lead. 

The U’s continued to press the hosts in a blistering opening to the game, although there was a blow on 21 minutes when George Taft was stretched off the field with what looked to be a serious leg injury.

However, United maintained their thrilling start and Gaffney’s afternoon improved further when he shook his marker free at the back post following a scramble in the Yeovil 18 yard box, before finishing in similar fashion to his first on 25 minutes to double the U’s advantage.

Berry was the next to register for the U’s ten minutes later, when Dunk on this occasion pulled his cross back to the U’s maestro on the edge of the box, who calmly controlled the ball with a deft flick up to beat his man before powering home with a right footed volley into the far left corner.

However, the home side gave themselves hope minutes before the break when former Cambridge United striker Ryan Bird rounded goalkeeper Sam Beasant following a long pass up field before slotting the ball in the empty net to peg one back for the Glovers.

Yeovil returned for the second half carrying a far greater threat than they had in the first, as the U’s look to hold firm on their two goal advantage. 

Beasant was called into action on a number of occasions before the hour mark, which included two fine saves from a one on one with Yeovil captain Ryan Dickson and a leaping effort to flick over a headed attempt on goal from the Glovers shortly after.

The U’s maintained their comfortable lead until 11 minutes from time, when a Yeovil corner slid through the area to Josh Sheehan at the far post who side footed his shot into the near corner to set up a nervy finish for the 257 strong travelling United fans.

However, Richard Money’s men dug deep during the latter stages to seal the win and secure six points from a possible nine during the space of seven days. 

Cambridge United: Beasant, Taylor, Taft (Omozusi, 21 mins), Sesay, L.Hughes, Dunk, J.Hughes, Berry, Donaldson (Slew, 77 mins), Gaffney (Demetriou, 62 mins), Corr

Goals: Gaffney 2, Berry

Yeovil Town: Krysiak, Smith, Sokolik, Laird, Bird, Dickson, Thomas, Lacey, Cornick, Roberts, Sheehan

Goals: Bird, Sheehan

Attendance: 3,224 (Away, 257)

Advertisement block