Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


5 November 2015

Brown hat trick guides U’s to win

Cambridge United U18s progress into the Second Round of the FA Youth Cup with a 5-0 win over Hayes & Yeading U18s at the Abbey Stadium.

A hat trick from Jordan Brown gave the U’s control of the game shortly after the hour mark, before late strikes by Justin Leavers and Josh Emmins sealed the win for United.

It was actually the visitors who began the  first half slightly brighter in attack. Matt Sinclair came within fractions of opening the scoring when he met a fiercely driven shot to the front post that the U’s failed to deal with, but struck it wide of the mark on seven minutes.

However, United regained their composure to steady the ship and even threaten with a few bursts up field themselves. Dylan Williams’ well-delivered cross from a free kick to the far post which only needed an Amber shirt to glance it goal wards on 17 minutes, but Hayes & Yeading keeper Hugo Sobte showed sharp reactions to punch clear from danger.

But it was to be from a dead ball situation that United would eventually break the deadlock.  A sweetly struck free kick on the left side of the 18 yard box could only be parried into the path of Jordan Brown by Sobte, and the youngster slotted home with ease to give United a half time lead.

It took just five second half minutes for the U’s and Brown to double the advantage, when Sobte again palmed a save down for the striker to score, after Ryan Harnwell had initially gone through one-on-one. 

Brown came close to completing the hat-trick shortly before the hour mark, when a well-worked team move which began at right back with Leon Davies, saw the youngster almost turn Harnwell’s cross into the net. However, that did not deter Brown who registered his third of the game on 65 minutes, darting across the front post to nick the ball into the far corner.

Hayes & Yeading had the chance to pull a goal back during the final stages of the match from the penalty spot but captain Dylan Kearney fired over. The U’s took full advantage moments later, racing up field with Leon Davies who crossed impeccably to substitute Justin Leavers at the far post.

Josh Emmins made it five with a clean finish inside the 18 yard box to complete the score line, and speaking after the game Academy Manager Richard Meek was delighted the U’s had been able to seal a convincing First Round win.

“It was pleasing result in the end after a difficult start to the game, where the players were a little anxious giving that they were playing on the pitch at the Stadium.

“Once the first goal was scored, naturally that calmed the nerves and they went on to enjoy the game. Overall I would assess that it was good result, with a pleasing second half performance.

He added: “We managed to produce some very well executed goals and Jordan has to score three of them. He worked very hard and because of that, he has got his just rewards. 

“We now have another home draw in the Second Round to look forward to against Stevenage. We’ll be aiming to get another positive result and look to progress into the Third Round, where there is a real incentive because that is the stage where the bigger clubs enter the competition.”

Cambridge United: Iron, Davies, Emmins, Bell-Toxtle, Jones, Darling, Chambers-Shaw, Williams (Lea), Brown, Foy (Leavers), Harnwell (Burniston)

Hayes & Yeading: Sobte, Callan, Taylor, John-Cyrus, Smith, Mugoya, Doyle, McKernan, Kearney, Sinclair, Brown

Advertisement block