Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Cambridge United 4-0 Newport County

17 January 2015

Impressive U's secure big win

Cameron McGeehan scored twice on his debut as Cambridge United warmed up for the big FA Cup tie with Manchester United by thrashing Newport County 4-0.

McGeehan opened the scoring in the 12th minute after a good run from Ryan Donaldson, and the U's could have had more goals before Sullay Kaikai made it 2-0 with a low shot just before half time.

After the break McGeehan finished off another Donaldson cross to make it 3-0, before Liam Hughes converted a Kaikai corner to complete the rout.

Norwich loanee McGeehan was thrown straight into the starting line-up as Richard Money made two changes to the team that won at Carlisle. McGeehan took the place of the injured Luke Chadwick, while Kaikai also came into the team at the expense of Robbie Simpson, who was on the bench.

McGeehan had already hit the bar with a rising shot when he gave United a 12th minute lead. The goal was all about the pace of Donaldson, who beat his man on half-way and hared down the touchline before delivering a low cross towards Kaikai. Though his shot was blocked the ball spun away to the edge of the box where McGeehan was on hand to drive a low shot in to the bottom corner.

Newport came into the match on the back of four successive victories, but the Exiles looked at sixes and sevens in defence, conceding possession time and time again under pressure from United's mobile five-man midfield, with Donaldson, McGeehan and Kaikai roaming dangerously behind Tom Elliott.

Kaikai could have made it 2-0 when he bulldozed his way through and found himself with Joe Day in his sights, but the Crystal Palace loanee dragged his shot wide of the far post.

The visitors had their chances, two of which fell to Ryan Jackson, who twice missed his kick when well-placed. But on the stroke of half-time it was United who doubled their advantage. Some fine passing down the right resulted in Donaldson and Champion finding Kaikai, who found space 20 yards out to fire a daisy cutter past Day.

There was no let-up for the visitors after the break, with United wrapping up the points after a fine counter-attack in the 65th minute. Tom Elliott carried the ball forward before finding Donaldson in space, and his low cross was converted by McGeehan from inside the six-yard box.

Kaikai twice went close to making it 4-0, forcing Day into two sprawling saves. But the Crystal Palace loanee was to provide the final goal for Hughes, who met a corner from the left, and though his shot hit the foot of the post, the midfielder was on hand to ram in the rebound.

A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon for U's fans ended on a sour note, as Champion stayed down in a heap after a typically full-blooded challenge, and had to be stretchered off the pitch.

May I Claim Man of the Match: Cameron McGeehan

Cambridge United: Dunn, Tait, Taylor, Coulson, Nelson, Kaikai, Hughes, Champion, McGeehan, Donaldson (Dunk 67), Elliott (Bird 71). Subs not used: Norris, Miller, Hunt, Simpson, Chiedozie

Newport County:Day, Jones, Yakubu, Poole, Jackson, Sandell, Chapman (Porter 78, Byrne, Minshull (Klukowski 61), Zebroski, O'Connor. Subs not used: Stephens, Feeley, Jeffers, Flynn.

Referee: Stuart Atwell

Attendance: 6,076 (away 284)

Advertisement block