Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


29 August 2015

Goalless draw at the Hive gives U's valuable point

Cambridge United take a valuable point away from the Hive Stadium, having played out a goal less draw against Barnet FC in a evenly contested clash.

First half chances for Jordan Slew and a strong penalty claim were as close as the U’s came to clinching the three points in the capital, with the U’s showing real grit and resilience in the second half to maintain a clean sheet.

Clearly buoyed by a fantastic gathering of travelling United fans, Cambridge started the game the brighter of the two sides. Robbie Simpson’s chest down on five minutes gave Jordan Slew an early sight on goal but Jamie Stephens saved well for the home side.

That came moments after United had a convincing shout for a penalty waved away after a flailing Barnet arm seemed to make contact with the ball in the 18 yard box from a corner, referee Nicholas Kinseley was not persuaded. 

Following a promising opening ten minutes, the Bees crafted out their first opportunity. A corner from Johnson found former U’s forward Michael Gash, who directed a header towards goal which Liam Hughes did extremely well to block on the line.

As the half approached the midway point, Chris Dunn was forced into a fine save low down to his left from a powerful Curtis Weston drive.

The U’s responded quickly with a pair of chances on goal of their own. First Slew stung the palms of Stephens having been put through cleverly by Harrison Dunk, before the ball was recycled and found Hughes’ head that again was unable to evade the Barnet keeper.

As the half progressed, United did begin to gain control of possession in the midfield without creating too many goal scoring chances. 

In fact the Bees came closest on 35 minutes, when centre back Bira Dembele flicked Elliot Johnson’s corner ball with his head on to the underside of the cross bar. The ball bounced the right side of the line from a U’s perspective and the sides played out a goal less first half for the remaining minutes.

The game remained finely poised throughout the second half, with both sides wrestling for a majority in possession and chances on goal few and far between.

United boss Richard Money introduced Jacob Blyth and Elliot Omozusi to proceedings on the hour mark as he looked to liven up the U’s attack. The latter made a crucial block on the line with 74 minutes played from a dangerous Barnet corner.

John Akinde was as expected a physical presence for the home side, but United were resilient and dogged in defence to protect the clean sheet.

Blyth perhaps had the U’s best chance of the second period, when the Leicester loanee picked up possession thirty yards from goal and let fire a dipping shot which came within inches of creeping below Stephen’s cross bar with five minutes left on the clock.

Cambridge United: Dunn, Taylor, Legge, Roberts, Dunk, J.Hughes (Omozusi, 60 mins), L.Hughes, Berry, Donaldson, Slew(Blyth, 62 mins), Simpson (Carr, 90 mins)

Barnet: Stephens, Hoyte (Gambin, 61 mins), Johnson, Dembele, N’Gala, Yiadom, Weston, Vilhete (Batt, 83 mins), Togwell, Gash (McClean, 83 mins)

Advertisement block