Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


3 April 2015

Shakers defeat the U's

Cambridge United’s winless run continued as Bury took all three points from the R Costings Abbey Stadium with a 2-0 victory.

Nathan Cameron was left unmarked to slot in the opener in the 24th minute, and ten minutes into the second half Tom Soares was given time and space to double the advantage. 
Sullay Kaikai tested Nick Pope with a couple of powerful shots, but there was no way back for the U’s.

Richard Money made four changes following Saturday’s 2-1 defeat at Hartlepool, with Greg Taylor and Michael Nelson re-enforcing the back line as Richard Tait and Ian Miller dropped out. Simpson and Kaikai were also drafted in, with Matt Harrold and Liam Hughes dropping to the bench.

And the U’s almost got off to a perfect start when Ryan Donaldson received a short free kick and went for goal from distance, only to see Pope dive to his left and tip the ball over the bar.

Bury looked assured on the ball, and controlled possession for much of the half, but United kept them at arms length for long periods. Chris Dunn had to parry Chris Hussey’s free kick, but had been otherwise untroubled until Cameron’s 24th minute opener. A corner was headed away by the U’s defence, but Mayor drifted the ball back in and the Bury skipper was completely unmarked to control and fire past Dunn.

Following the goal, the visitors had their best spell of the match, with Mayor roaming around dangerously behind the strikers, and forcing Dunn into a stretching save from a curling shot. 

United ended the half strongly, but any hopes they had of getting back into the match were dealt a blow in the 55th minute. Champion was unable to cut out a long ball into the box and it broke for Lowe, who fed it wide to Soares in space, and he made no mistake with a cool finish.

Money rang the changes as the U’s looked for a way back into the game, introducing three substitutes to no avail. Kaikai drew a good save from Pope, before delivering a corner that was headed wide at the far post by Ryan Bird.

United now go on their travels, heading to Northampton for Monday’s derby with Chris Wilder’s Cobblers.

May I Claim Man of the Match: Harrison Dunk

Cambridge United: Dunn, Taylor, Dunk, Coulson, Nelson, Donaldson, Kaikai, Hunt (Mendez-Laing 59), Champion, Simpson (Bird 55), Elliott (Harrold 64). Subs not used: Norris, Morrissey, Ball, Hughes.

Bury: Pope, Jones (Holding 78), Hussey, Tutte, El-Abd, Mayor, Soares, Cameron, Etuhu, Eaves (Nardiello 59), Lowe (Sedgewick 68). Subs not used: Hope, Adams, O’Brien, Lainton.

Referee: Mark Brown

Attendance: 5,427 (away 566)

Advertisement block