Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT - Eastleigh 0-1 U's

1 February 2014

Money's men march on

CAMBRIDGE United booked their place in Tuesday's FA Trophy semi final draw with a 1-0 win at Eastleigh this afternoon.

It is the first time in United's history that they have made the last four of the competition and they will face either Grimsby Town, Gosport Borough or either Havant & W or Aldershot who's tie was postponed today.

Luke Berry netted the winner, firing home from the penalty spot on 68 minutes after Ryan Bird was brought down in the box by Eastleigh keeper Flitney.

An even first half saw former United midfielder, Jai Reason, come closest to breaking the deadlock, he couldn't quite adjust his body to get his shot away from inside the six yard box.

Josh Coulson headed wide for the U's and Ryan Bird came close on two occasions, but it was all square at half time.

HT: Eastleigh 0-0 U's

United started the second half in a lively fashion, Ryan Bird having two early attempts at the Eastleigh goal. 

The U's continued to pressure, keeping the ball well in difficult circumstances, and made the breakthrough on 68 minutes.  Ryan Bird evaded the Eastleigh offside trap finding himself one-on-one with Flitney, who floored the U's striker and was lucky not to see red.  Luke Berry stepped up and fired the U's one-up from the spot.

The hosts nearly drew level within a minute, Strevens' header creeping just wide of Norris' left hand post.

Bird again came close for United with ten minutes to go, while Will Norris made two fine saves to preserve his second clean sheet in two games.

FT: Eastleigh 0-1 U's

TEAM: Norris, Roberts, Taylor, Coulson, Miller, Donaldson, Champion, Arnold (Tait, 71), Gillies (Hughes, 58), Chambers (Berry, 52), Bird.
Not Used: Sullivan, Lowe.
ATT: 757

Click Here for As It Happened

The semi finals will take place over two legs on Saturday 15th and Saturday 22nd February,  click here for more details.

Advertisement block